Total Pageviews

Friday, December 22, 2017

The Inch Project
·       I started Grip Sport in 2003.  Since then I have managed to achieve all of my goals except the Inch Dumbbell – a dumbbell used by an old time strongman in England.  Not that there aren’t harder and greater feats of Grip strength out there but I managed the one’s I set my mind to.
·       Starting December 16 2017 (a week after Gripmas) I came up with a very loose and subject to change at any time plan for lifting the Inch Dumbbell.  Seemingly the biggest issue I face is that my wrist isn’t strong enough to keep my fingers “under” the handle.  Of course my thumb is too weak to help much so that is going to have to be addressed as well but I want to start with the wrist.  Long ago I used a program called Synergy Forearms – It’s a HIT based program that worked well for me in the past.  My hope is to work up until I stall on the reps for the program – then add some triples and then singles and hope to go over 200# on things – hopefully for a few reps.  Next will be some standing 2 3/8” bar wrist curls to duplicate the standing position and specific hand positioning better.
·       At that time I want to start on repetition Gracie lifts (my 146# Inch Replica).  My hope is to work up to 10 straight reps with each hand (20 back and forth) or maybe better.
·       At this point I will reevaluate things and add what seems needed.  I want better endurance to handle a higher volume of work when I get to the Inch itself.
·       Then I will start on Bob Sundin’s program of counter weighting the actual Inch by adding weight to the thumb side with magnets and/or duct tape as needed.
·       All these lifts will be done from boxes to save my back – it’s strong enough to lift the Inch but many sessions of multiple attempts might flare up old low back injuries – I need to be careful here.
·       I have until Gripmas 2018 when I have to give Nate back his Dumbbell (Thanks Nate) but I really hope to get it sooner so I can concentrate on climbing before fall when the climbing trips start.  
      This will not be a training log that I keep updated here on the board - I have that covered other places.   
           Wish me luck!   
For right now I'll be doing this every third day - probably going to every 4th day as it gets heavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment